Job Sheet: Air Security Specialist
Air Security Specialist
As a member of our Air Security staff, you will be responsible for the protection of all Royal New Zealand Air Force assets during peacetime and operations. You may also be involved in investigations, instructing core military skills and instructing and providing advice on drill and ceremonial matters for the Air Force.
Suitable individuals may also be selected to become dog handlers. You may be employed on base in New Zealand, or deployed abroad in a number of security roles.
Qualifications required/age restrictions
- 17 years or older on date of Enlistment.
- Possess a minimum of 12 Level 1 NCEA Credits in English and Mathematics. Computer experience is preferred.
- A Full Class 1 Drivers Licence is preferred, although consideration will also be given to applicants holding a Restricted Licence.
- Have been a New Zealand Citizen for at least five years, or have been a Citizen of Australia, Canada or the United Kingdom for 10 years or more.
We pay you a wage from commencement of training, but you will be contractually obliged to serve 24 months in the Air Force at completion of Advanced Trade Training to recompense the cost of training you.
Location of job
| Once your training is completed, you could be employed at RNZAF Base Auckland in Whenuapai, RNZAF Base Ohakea near Palmerston North, or RNZAF Base Woodbourne near Blenheim.
- Recruit Course (12 weeks of basic military training at RNZAF Base Woodbourne, near Blenheim).
- Primary Trade Training (15 weeks at RNZAF Base Woodbourne).
- On-the-job training for approximately two years (to consolidate what is learnt during Primary Trade Training).
- Advanced Trade Training. This consists of a number of short modules at RNZAF Base Woodbourne and a four week Military Police Investigation Course at Trentham Army Camp in Wellington.
- You will then complete further on-the-job training to consolidate your skills and knowledge.
- Once fully qualified you may also expect to provide instruction for officer training, investigation training, counter-intelligence training or dog handler training.
- Once training is complete, you will advance through the Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) rank structure. Your abilities as a tradesperson will determine the speed of your advancement.
$33,240 is the annual starting salary from commencement of training. Once your Primary Trade training is completed, your salary will increase to $42,331. From there, your wage will increase as you complete further training courses, and progress through the NCO rank structure.
Other careers this profession could lead to
Air Security Officer
How to increase the chances of successfully entering
- Work hard at school to gain positive school reports and results.
- Participate in team activities such as sport to demonstrate that you get on well with others.
Places/websites to source information about this job