Series 2 Episode 5 - Waikanae Crab Cakes
Waikanae Crab Cakes with Tartare Sauce
Serves 8 as an Entrée
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbl Capers (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Tbl Red Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Gherkins (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Tbl Fresh Parsley (Finely Chopped)
- 1/2 Tbl Fresh Tarragon (Finely Chopped)
In a bowl mix all the ingredients together, check seasoning - it may need a pinch of salt and pepper if your mayonnaise is bland.
- Olive Oil or Canola Oil (for cooking)
- 1/4 Cup Celery (Finely Chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Green Capsicum (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Cup Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 1/2 Tbl Garlic (Finely Minced)
- 500g Crab Meat
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs
- Salt and Pepper to season
- Extra Bread Crumbs (for cooking)
In a small saucepan add a little oil and over low heat sweat your celery, capsicum, onion and minced garlic. Cook for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the vegetables are soft and creamy, remove and cool to room temperature.
In a bowl place the vegetables and add the crab meat, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Fold all together then add the bread crumbs to firm up the mix.
Season with salt and pepper and if the mix seems a little moist add a little more bread crumbs.
Lastly mould the crab cakes into the size you require and lightly cover with bread crumbs.
- Cooking Oil
- Moulded Crab Cakes
- Tartare Sauce
- Lemon Wedges to Garnish
In a medium sized sauté pan over moderate heat add a
little cooking oil. Cook the Crab Cakes on both sides until
golden. Place in a pre-heated oven to warm through (say 3 - 5
Once heated through serve on warm plates with a dollop of Tartare Sauce and a wedge of lemon to finish.