With Allyson Gofton
Adding wholegrain oats to an easy but tasty meatloaf not only stretches the mince to feed more, it also adds fibre - and, without the family knowing!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour minutes
1 cup milk
3/4 - 1 cup wholegrain oats
45 gram packet tomato soup mix or ý cup tomato paste
1/2 cup dried fruit (raisins, currants, sultanas), optional
1 onion, peeled and finely diced
1 carrot, peeled and grated
600 grams lean beef mince
1/2 - 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
Preheat the oven to 190C.
In a large bowl mix together the milk, wholegrain oats, tomato soup or paste and dried fruit and set aside while cooking the onion.
Cook the onion in a dash of oil until softened. Remove from the heat and add top the wholegrain oat mixture with the carrots, mince and herbs. Mix well, shape into a loaf and place in an oven-proof, lasagna-style dish.
Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove, cover with paper and allow to stand for 15 minutes before carving into thick slices. Serve with gravy, sauce or favourite chutney.
Jazz me up
This basic recipe can so easily be jazzed up especially if your family likes more herbs or spices like:
- Add 1-2 teaspoons minced garlic to the onion
- Add 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1/4 cup each of oregano and parsley
- Add 1 teaspoon minced chilli with the onion
- Add 1/2 cup sliced black olives and season with 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary.
- Cover the top with rashers of bacon; you'll need about 8-10
- Use half beef and pork mince
- Use pizza-flavoured tomato paste.
(TX: 5 July 2011)