Tamara Jane's recipes - British treats - 28 May
Treacle Tart Recipe
250g shortcrust pastry dough, thawed if frozen
Plain flour for dusting
350g golden syrup
125g double cream
Finely grated rind of 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp lemon juice
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and use it to line a 20cm/8-inch loose-bottomed quiche or flan tin, reserving the pastry trimmings.
- Prick the base of the pastry with a fork and leave to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Mix the syrup, breadcrumbs, double cream, grated lemon and lemon juice together in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry case and decorate the tart with a lattice pattern if you wish.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 190degC for about 35-40 minutes, or until the filling is just set.
- Leave the tart to cool slightly in the tin, then serve.
Traditional North of England cake
2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ginger
1/2 cup sugar (optional)
1 cup oats
1 cup milk
1/3 cup margarine
1 cup molasses and honey mixed (in England this would be treacle and golden syrup)
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and ginger as well as sugar if desired.
- Soak oats in milk for 1/2 hour.
- Melt margarine and add molasses and honey.
- Combine wet ingredients and add to dry.
- Pour into a 23cm x 28cm pan.
- Bake at 160degC for 45 minutes or until it starts to come away from the sides of the pan.
Chocolate and Cherry Trifle
Ingredients: (serves 4)
2 tbsp marsala
2 tbsp caster sugar
1/2 cup strong espresso coffee, cooled slightly
4 mini jam sponge rolls, cut into 5mm-thick slices
50g good-quality dark chocolate, grated
1/2 cup thick vanilla custard
425g can black pitted cherries, drained
- Combine marsala, sugar and coffee in a jug. Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Divide the sponge slices between four 400ml-capacity whisky glasses.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of the coffee mixture.
- Drizzle remaining coffee mixture over the sponge slices.
- Top with half the chocolate, and all the custard and cherries.
- Drizzle with the reserved coffee mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate and serve.