Tamara Jane's recipe - Black forest gateau - 21 May
Black Forest Gateau
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup corn flour
1/2 cup custard powder
1 teaspoon cream tartar
1/2 teaspoon bi-carb soda
1 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Pre set oven to 210degC.
- Sift the dry ingredients.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until thick and creamy.
- Fold in the dry ingredients with a large metal spoon.
- Pour into 22cm tin, bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before filling.
1 x 670g jar morello cherries
2 tbs caster sugar
1 tbs cornflour
600ml thickened cream
60ml (1/4 cup) kirsch
2 tbs boiling water
2 tbs caster sugar, extra
200g dark cooking chocolate
- Drain the cherries, reserving 160ml (2/3 cup) of the juice. Reserve 10 cherries to decorate.
- Place the remaining cherries and the reserved juice in a saucepan with the sugar and cornflour.
- Stir over medium-low heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill.
- Use an electric beater to beat cream in a medium bowl until firm peaks form.
- Place kirsch, water and extra sugar in a jug and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Cut the cooled sponge cake in half
- Melt the chocolate and spread thinly onto a work surface or large tray
- Cool until just set and use a spatula or palette knife to create chocolate curls
- With the remainder of the chocolate, make a paper piping bake and pipe chocolate filigree shapes onto baking paper.
- Allow to set completely before lifting off the paper.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate and drizzle over half of the kirsch mixture.
- Spread with half of the cherry mixture and a thin layer of the cream. Repeat with the remaining cake, kirsch mixture, cherry mixture and cream, finishing with a layer of cake.
- Spread some of the remaining cream over the top and side of the cake.
- Press the chocolate curls around the sides of the cake.
- Place the remaining cream in a piping bag fitted with a 1cm fluted nozzle and pipe rosettes around the edge of the cake.
- Arrange the reserved cherries around the cake between the cream rosettes.
- Use the chocolate filigree to decorate as well.
- Cut the cake into wedges to serve.