Tamara Jane's kids' recipes - 1 July
Apricot bubble biscuits
Biscuit people with lemon icing
School Holiday Kid-Friendly Recipes
Apricot Bubble Biscuits
Cooking Time 20 minutes plus 10 minutes preparation time
Cost $3.00 per mix
150g butter, at room temperature
100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
140g (1 cup) chopped dried apricots
35g (1/4 cup) custard powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
105g (3 cups) Kellogg's Rice Bubbles
1. Preheat oven to 180degC. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
2. Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat until well combined. Add the flour, apricot, custard powder and cinnamon. Stir until well combined.
3. Place the Rice Bubbles in a bowl. Roll 1/2 tablespoonful of the apricot mixture into a ball. Add to the Rice Bubbles and turn to coat. Place on 1 lined tray. Repeat with the remaining apricot mixture and Rice Bubbles. Place the balls, about 5cm apart, on the lined trays.
4. Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until golden. Transfer the biscuits to a wire rack to cool completely.
Biscuit People with Lemon Icing
Time 1 hour plus decoration time
Cost $2.50 per batch plus extra for lolly decorations if used
250g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
2 cups (300g) plain flour
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
1/2 cup (75g) icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp lemon juice
Lollies for decoration if desired
1. Whiz butter and flour in a food processor until mix resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add caster sugar and pulse to combine. Add egg and process until mixture comes together. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 1 minute or until smooth. Divide in half, press into discs, enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 180degC. Line 4 baking trays with baking paper. Roll dough out on a floured surface to 4-5mm thick. Using an 8cm gingerbread man cutter, cut shapes from dough and place on trays. Re-roll dough scraps once and cut more shapes. Bake for 8-10 minutes until light golden. Cool on trays.
3. Mix icing sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, then spread over the biscuits with a palette knife or the back of a spoon. Leave to set for 1 hour. Use lollies to make eyes etc.