Tamara Jane's Christmas treat recipes - 26 November
Stained glass slices
Mini Christmas puddings
Stained Glass Slices
Melted butter, to grease
3 egg whites
70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
80ml (1/3 cup) honey
100g mixed glace cherries
100g dried pineapple, cut into 1cm pieces
100g dried pawpaw, cut into 1cm pieces
150g (1 cup) plain flour
1 tsp fennel seeds
1. Preheat oven to 180degC. Brush an 8 x 26cm (base measurement) bar pan with melted butter to grease. Line the base and 2 long sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing sides to overhang.
2. Use an electric beater to beat the egg whites and sugar in a clean, dry bowl until firm peaks form. Beat in the honey. Add the cherries, pineapple, pawpaw, flour and fennel seeds. Fold until just combined.
3. Spoon into the prepared pan. Smooth the surface. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until firm and lightly browned. Set aside in the pan to cool completely. Wrap in foil. Set aside for 24 hours to rest.
4. Preheat oven to 120degC. Use a serrated knife to thinly slice the loaf crossways. Place, in a single layer, on 3 large baking trays. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until dry. Turn oven off. Leave the bread in oven, with the door ajar, to cool completely.
Mini Christmas Puddings
200g dark chocolate, chopped
700g apple and cranberry cake or other fruit cake
1/3 cup orange juice
1/2 cup icing sugar mixture, sifted
250g white chocolate melts
1. Place dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan
of simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth.
2. Crumble cake into a large bowl. Add dark chocolate, orange juice and sugar. Stir to combine. Cover. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm enough to handle.
3. Roll level tablespoons of cake mixture into balls. Place on baking trays lined with baking paper, flattening bases slightly so they sit on trays. Refrigerate until firm.
4. Melt white chocolate following method in step 1. Cool for 10 minutes. Drizzle over puddings to form 'custard' (see tip). Decorate with a piece of glace cherry.
70g (2 cups) rice bubbles
100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
45g (1/2 cup) desiccated coconut
2/3 cup Sunbeam Mixed Fruit
125g copha or cremelta
95g (1/2 cup) choc bits
1. Combine the rice bubbles, sugar, coconut and mixed fruit in a large bowl.
2. Place copha in a saucepan over medium heat until melted. Add copha or cremelta and choc bits to rice-bubbles mixture and stir to combine.
3. Spoon mixture into 16 patty pans lined with paper cases. Place in the fridge to set.