Recipe - Peta Mathias's Thon Mi-cuit au Salade du Sud - 12 Dec
Thon Mi-cuit au Salade du Sud
Half Cooked Tuna with Southern French Salad - serves 6
For the salad
100g dry coco beans (or 200g tinned small white beans)
A bay leaf
A sprig of thyme
One capsicum, any colour you like
200g cherry tomatoes
50g pine nuts
100g black olives
1/2 preserved lemon
1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
For the vinaigrette:
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp finely chopped chives
1. Soak the beans in plenty of water overnight then boil in
fresh water with the bay leaf and thyme for half an hour. Add salt
at the last minute. Drain.
2. Make up the vinaigrette by whisking together the first 4 ingredients then gradually add the oil. Stir in the chives.
3. Blacken capsicum, remove skin, core and dice finely.
4. Halve or quarter tomatoes depending on how big they are.
5. Fry the pine nuts in a little oil till golden.
6. Stone and chop olives.
7. Discard flesh from preserved lemon and chop skin finely.
8. Toss all the salad ingredients together.
For the tuna
6 X 180g tuna steaks cut 2 1/2cm thick
Remove fish from fridge half an hour before cooking. Heat a heavy based fry pan to very hot, sprinkle with flaky sea salt and place tuna on top. Cook for exactly six minutes on one side and remove from the pan.
Place some salad on a large plate, drench with a few tbsp of the
vinaigrette and top with tuna.