Peta Mathias's Loin of Lamb with Goat Cheese & Lavender
Loin of Lamb with Goat Cheese & Lavender - www.petamathias.com
1/3 cup vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tsp honey
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
400g soft goat cheese
freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp chopped chives
8 small or 4 large leeks, green part cut off
sprig of thyme
8 boned out lamb loin chops
4 tsp Dijon mustard
16 sprigs lavender - leaves and flowers, chopped
olive oil for frying
1. Make the vinaigrette by whisking together vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and honey then gradually add the oil. Stir in the parsley.
2. Cream the cheese in a food processor, adding as much cream as necessary to obtain a thick mixture. Remove from processor and stir in pepper and chives.
3. Make a cross in the ends of the leeks and clean thoroughly, then boil in salted water with a sprig of thyme till very soft. Keep warm.
4. Preheat oven to 200oC. Tie the chops with string to keep their round shape. Spread mustard on the skin then roll in chopped lavender.
5. Heat oil in pan and fry chops for 2 mins on each side then roast in the oven for 5 mins. Remove from oven and rest for 5 mins.
To serve: Place leeks in the middle of 4 plates, some creamed cheese on one side and the chops on the other. Drizzle vinaigrette over the leeks and garnish dish with fresh herbs.