Paul Rowan's pate and kofta recipes - 14 August
Chicken liver pate
Cheese kofta with makhani sauce
Chicken Liver Pate
2kg fresh chicken livers
1 large onion finely chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp thyme
120ml red wine
150g clarified butter
200ml redcurrant jelly
50ml orange juice
Peel from 1 orange
- Boil all together for a few mins till combined then reduce by half, cool and add a bit more orange juice to pouring consistency if needed.
- To clarify butter, heat gently till melted and carefully pour off butterfat leaving milk solids behind.
- Remove membranes from livers and pat dry.
- Saute livers in 50 ml of butter stirring with spoon till coloured.
- Add onion and garlic and thyme continue to sweat for a few more mins.
- Flambe with brandy and add wine.
- Simmer until livers are cooked through.
- Strain and return liquid to pan reduce till thick then add livers back in along with rest of clarified butter.
- Puree in a blender adding salt and pepper to season. If you prefer a smoother pate you should now pass the mix through a fine sieve.
- Pour pate into a terrine mould or loaf tin lined with glad wrap and set in the fridge over night.
- Cut and serve with Cumberland sauce and warm toast fingers.
Cheese Kofta with Makhani Sauce (Sauce from Butter Chicken)
700g cold mashed potato mixed with
100g grated cheddar
50g cream cheese
200g cottage cheese
1 egg beaten
100g plain flour
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped coriander
Cornflour for frying
2 teaspoons garam marsala
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 small onion finely chopped
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoon sweet paprika
60ml tomato paste
400g tomato ketchup
- Mix together potato, cheese, egg, flour, cumin, coriander and salt.
- Using floured hands form into cylinders (like croquettes) and refrigerate.
- Shallow fry in oil till nicely browned on all sides drain on kitchen towel and heat through in Makhani sauce when ready.
- Serve over fluffy pilau rice.
To make sauce:
- Lightly saute onion till just soft add garlic and ginger and continue to saute for 1 min.
- Add all spices on the heat and stir till fragrant being careful not to burn them.
- Add sugar and vinegar stir through and finally add tomato paste giving one last stir on the stove.
- Cool and pure paste in blender till smooth.
- In a clean pan add paste and stir over heat till fragrant.
- Add tomato ketchup and cream and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 12 mins use as required.
- If liked, you could saute diced chicken breast till coloured and then pour over sauce and simmer for 20 mins to make butter chicken.