Paul Rowan's baked potato and banana split recipes - 17 July
Jacket Potato with Smoke Bacon and Cheddar
For a real baked potato you need the biggest one in the shop. It's fun to let the kids choose them, so they are involved from the start then you can get them to grate the cheese, mash the potato and if they are careful they can fry the bacon and re-fill the skins.
There is nothing like a crisp skinned potato bubbling with melted cheese and bacon - they are good for the whole family.
4 large baking potatoes
150g smoked streaky bacon cut into small dice
150g cheddar cheese grated
2 tablespoons sour cream
- Rinse potatoes and shake off excess water, prick with a fork and rub in salt and place on baking tray.
- Bake at 200c for approx 1 - 1 1/2 hrs
- Remove from oven and cut in half.
- Scoop out potato and mash together with grated cheese and seasoning.
- Fry off bacon pat dry and add to mash with sour cream. Meanwhile put skins back in the oven to crisp up.
- Fill skins with potato mix and pop back in oven till bubbling and hot.
Banana Split with Frozen Banana Ice Cream
This is a recipe from my kids Thomas and Charlie. They went through the pantry and into the sweet tin to find the Crunchie bars and the rest they just made up which is exactly what you can do with your kids just use the same basic ingredients and let the kids run riot in finishing it off!
1 banana per person for split
1 frozen banana per person for ice cream
1 scoop vanilla ice cream per person
1 scoop strawberry ice cream per person
Can of spray cream
2 tablespoons fruit puree per person make or buy
2 tablespoons mixed berries per person make or buy
Crunchie bars crushed or confectionery of your choice to decorate
Glace cherry to decorate with or without sprinkles
- First skin and split banana length ways and put it into a glass dish.
- Put one scoop of each ice cream on top of banana.
- To make banana ice cream just skin and break up the frozen banana and purée in blender - use immediately.
- Next put mixed berries on top of the strawberry ice cream, vanilla ice cream and banana ice cream.
- Then squirt on cream in a nice pattern topping with crushed confectionery and fruit puree and finish with cherry and sprinkles.