Laurel's Recipe - Sweet treats made from chocolate bars - 25 September
Chocolate-Bar Stuffed Apples
4 medium sweet apples
6 Toffee Milk bars, chilled
4 Snickers bars
2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup apple cider
1 tbsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180degC
- Cut the top 1cm from each apple
- Using an apple corer or small melon baller, scoop out the stem, core and seeds from each apple, leaving the bottom intact.
- Stand the apples in a baking dish, cut side up.
- Divide the chopped candy bars among the apples, about 2 tbsp of candy bar per apple.
- Place 1 1/2 tsp butter inside each apple and then scatter with the remaining chopped bars.
- Whisk together the cider and sugar and pour this mixture around the apples.
- Bake uncovered until tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Picnic Bar and Fruit Pudding
1 cup whipped cream
1 large package of vanilla instant pudding
1 cup of milk (for the pudding)
6 Picnic bars, cut up into small chunks and frozen, or frozen then hit with a hammer
3 medium size Granny Smith apples or other tart apple, cut up into small chunks
1 cup seedless green grapes, cut in half
- In a large bowl, mix up the pudding with the milk and then combine it with the cream.
- Add the Picnics and then the apples and grapes.
- Note: Cut the apples after you have mixed the other ingredients so that they aren't brown when you add them.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours or even overnight.
Mini Peanut Bar Pies
6 regular size Snicker type bars
2 cups whipped cream
125 gm butter
2 cups malt biscuits, finely crushed
1 tbsp warm water
- Melt butter, stir in finely crushed biscuit crumbs and water and mix to a firm paste.
- Press into mini muffin tins, refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Melt the chopped chocolate bars in the microwave. Cool slightly and then stir in the cream. Pour into crusts. Refrigerate until set.
Chocolate Coconut and Pineapple Fritters
1/2 pineapple, peeled and sliced
3 Bounty bars
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup cornflour
1 pinch baking soda
1 bottle larger beer
oil (for deep frying)
- Chill the chocolate bars by keeping it in the fridge, but don't freeze it.
- Mix the flours and bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) together.
- Add milk (traditional) or beer (which gives a lighter result) until you get a batter with the consistency of thin cream.
- Heat the oil until a small piece of bread will brown in a few seconds, but don't allow to smoke.
- Remove wrapper from chilled chocolate bar.
- Coat the bars and the pineapple slices completely in batter.
- Carefully lower into hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Serve, with ice cream or french fries, if you're so
Crispy Chocolate-Banana Wontons
2 Mars bars
20 wonton wrappers
2 bananas, sliced
4 cups vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 litre vanilla ice cream
Leave the milk chocolate in a warm place to make it slightly pliable, or warm between your hands. Cut each bar into 8 chunks and, with your hands, try to form each chunk into a disk the size of a quarter with no sharp edges. Lay half the wonton skins out on a surface and, one at a time, paint the edges with water. In the center of the wonton skin, place a disk of milk chocolate and a banana slice on top of the chocolate. Place another wonton on top, and press to seal tightly. Each wonton package should look like a ravioli. Cover with plastic wrap and store chilled until ready to fry and serve, up to 10 hours ahead.
Heat the oil in a wok or deep pot to 350degF. Drop the wontons into the oil, being careful not to crowd them (you may have to work in batches) and fry, turning often, until golden brown, 1-2 minutes. Meanwhile, place the cinnamon sugar in a bowl. Remove the wontons with a slotted spoon and immediately sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar to coat heavily. Serve right away with scoops of vanilla ice cream.