Judith Cullen's Christmas baking recipes - 30 November
Spiced cherry parfaits with panettone and mascarpone
Russian Christmas cake (Mazurka)
Russian Christmas Cake (Mazurka)
125g mixed peel
60g glace cherries
60g glace pineapple
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup flour
- Combine currants, sultanas, and raisins.
- Chop all other ingredients the same size as the sultanas.
- Mix in flour, lightly beaten eggs and honey.
- Press mixture into a greased lined Swiss roll tin or oblong dish , approx. - 25cm x 30cm.
- Bake in a slow oven for 1 hr, cool in tin.
- Cut when cold.
Spiced Cherry Parfaits With Panettone And Mascarpone
1 kg stoned cherries or 2 punnets strawberries
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise
6 cardamom pods
Zest of two lemons
350g panettone, cut into slices (or sponge cake, savoiardi biscuits, or brioche)
2 eggs, separated
1/4 cup caster sugar
2 tablespoons brandy
- Place the cherries in a large saucepan with the sugar and spices.
- Stir over a moderate heat for 5-6 minutes until the juices are released and have softened
- Note: The strawberries will not take this long to cook. (maybe 2-3 minutes)
- Discard the Spices and Cool.
- Using an electric beater whisk the egg yolks and sugar until thick.
- Add the brandy.
- Fold in the mascarpone
- Whisk the egg whites, then fold into the mascarpone mixture.
- Divide a third of the cherry/strawberry mixture among 6-1 cup glasses , layer with a third of the panettone slices, then a third of the mascarpone.
- Repeat the layers twice more.
- Top with Amaretti crumble
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight.
100g macadamia nuts
8 amaretti biscuits, crushed
100g muscovado sugar
100g unsalted butter
Zest of a lemon
- Chop nuts in a food processor - not too finely.
- Add the biscuits, flour and sugar and pulse until combined.
- Add the butter and lemon zest.
- Spread crumble thinly in a baking dish and bake for 8-10 minutes until starting to brown and crisp up.
- Leave to cool and sprinkle over the top of the trifle before serving.