Jan Bilton's tamarillo recipes - 28 August
Snazzy tamarillo stir-fry
Fancy French toast
250g beef schnitzel
1 tablespoon each: hoisin sauce, rice bran oil
1 rasher middle bacon, chopped
Extra rice bran oil for stir frying
2 shallots, diced
125g Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
2 large tamarillos, peeled and thickly sliced
- Thinly slice the beef schnitzel.
- Combine the hoisin sauce and oil in a bowl.
- Add the beef and mix well to coat.
- Stir-fry the bacon until crisp in the extra oil in a large non-stick wok or frying pan.
- Add the shallots and mushrooms.
- Stir-fry until soft adding a little more oil, if required. Remove and keep warm.
- Heat another tablespoon of the oil in the pan and stir-fry the beef in batches for 1 minute.
- Do not overcook as the beef will toughen.
- Return the bacon mixture to the pan.
- Add the tamarillos and stir-fry until heated through, about 1 minute.
Fancy French Toast
1 1/4 cups cream
1 French stick
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons honey
6 large tamarillos, peeled
6 rashers bacon
- Whisk the cream and eggs well.
- Slice the bread into 2.5cm rounds and arrange in a single layer in a wide, shallow casserole.
- Pour the egg mixture over to cover evenly. Refrigerate overnight or for several hours.
- Heat the orange juice and honey, until warm.
- Halve the tamarillos lengthwise. Add to the juice mixture and place on low heat to warm through.
- Pan-fry the bacon, until crisp. Remove to a warm platter. Fry the rounds of bread until golden on both sides. Add a little butter if the bread begins to stick.
- Divide the bread and bacon between six serving plates and add the tamarillos and sauce.
- Serve immediately for breakfast or brunch.