Homemade Bounty Bars by the What Now Team
What Now's Homemade Bounty Bars
2 cups desiccated coconut
1 cup full fat coconut cream
3 T coconut oil
4 T maple syrup
1 t vanilla
Pinch of sea salt
250g dark chocolate
- With the help of a grown up, in a saucepan mix the coconut cream, vanilla, coconut oil & maple syrup. Heat gently over low heat, stirring until it is well blended & dissolved.
- Stir in the desiccated coconut. Spoon this mixture in to a container lined with baking paper & press firmly down.
- Cool in the fridge until firm. When set, cut in to bars & pop in to the freezer to completely harden. This makes them more manageable when it comes time to coat in chocolate)
- Again, with the help of a grown up or get a grown up to do this bit for you melt your chocolate in a bowl over a pot of steaming water on the stove.
- Remove the chocolate from the stove & using a spoon & a bit of skill, cover your cold coconut bars with chocolate.
- Once covered in chocolate place the bar on a sheet of baking paper in the fridge until the chocolate sets.
When it comes to chocolate coating time, make sure your coconut bars are freezing cold & keep your chocolate sitting over the hot water while you work to keep it from thickening. You can substitute the maple syrup with any sweetener you like; golden syrup, date paste or a few teaspoons of plain sugar.