Fifi's Craft - Mini Olympics - 19 August
Make your own mini Olympics at home with these paper fastener puppets.
For the Wacky Walker you will need:
- Pencil and pens
- Paper fastener
- Bamboo skewer or pencil
- Cut out a body shape from cardboard as seen from the side but miss out the legs. Make it around 15cm tall. It doesn't have to be a human body, you can make a mouse, a duck, a cat, a space alien- whatever you would like to win the Olympics! Or you can use Fifi's Wacky Walker template.
- Colour it in.
- Make a hole in the shape at the hip joint area.
- Draw a circle onto card measuring around 12cm wide.
- Draw three legs on it so that they radiate out from the centre. If you mark an equilateral triangle inside the circle and have a foot end at each point, you will have the spacing right. Make them quite sturdy looking with feet on the bottom of them and the thighs joining each other. Cut the shape out and make a hole in the very centre.
- Fix the legs to the walker with a paper fastener through the two pieces.
- Push a skewer or pencil through the top of your walker to hold it and spin its legs around!
For the Jumping Gymnast you will need:
- Pencil and pens
- Paper fasteners
- String or thick cotton
- Cut out a body shape, front on, but leave off the legs and arms. Or you can use Fifi's Jumping Gymnast template.
- Cut out a pair of arms (bent at the elbow).
- Cut out a pair of upper legs and a pair of lower legs with feet (4 pieces total)
- Decorate them.
- Fix the limbs to the body with paper fasteners; make sure they move freely.
- Make small holes in the arms and upper legs. Thread the arms together through the holes. Thread the thighs together the same way. Knot a vertical length of string onto the horizontal ones making sure there is plenty of length at the bottom.
- Make a small hole in the head and tie a piece of string to it.
- Hold the gymnast by the head string and pull the bottom one. Watch it jump!