Fifi's Craft - Cardboard Cannon - 20 May
Fire paper, rubbers and corks with this simple cardboard tube!
You will need:
1 cardboard tube (from a food wrap roll)
1 soft drink bottle with a screw cap
1 small button
2 Paper clips
2 long rubber bands
- Cut the top off the drink bottle and trim it down until it fits into the tube. Take it out again and make a hole on either side of it.
- Cut the 2 rubber bands in half and thread one through each hole, tying them in firm knots. You should now have a bottle top with two big looped rubber bands dangling from it.
- Make a hole in the screw cap (heat up a metal skewer over a flame and push it through).
- Thread a piece of string through the button, tie it securely and then thread the string through the screw cap so that the button fits inside it. The string needs to be longer than the length of the tube. Tie a pencil to the other end of the tube.
- Screw the cap onto the cut off bottle top and drop the whole thing through the middle of the tube.
- Attached the rubber band loops to the end of the tube with paper clips.
- You will now have a tube with a pull handle (the pencil) and a catapult launcher (the bottle top) and a cannon barrel (the tube)
- Load the bottle top with a small missile- a rubber, cork or ball of paper, pull the handle back until there is enough tension to fire and then let it go!
Great fun, but don't use hard missiles and never aim it at people or animals.