Chelsea Winter's Apple, Feijoa and Maple Pie
Chelsea Winter's Apple, Feijoa & Maple Pie
With Woman's Day
Serves 6 preparation 15 minutes cooking 35 minutes
11/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1.5kg feijoas, flesh scooped out and chopped
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup cornflour
2 x 400g puff pastry blocks
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
good-quality ice cream and cream to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180C fan bake.
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter and all the spices over medium heat. Cook for a few minutes to warm the spices.
3. Add feijoas, apples, maple syrup and cornflour. Stir gently with a wooden spoon until everything is combined.
Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Leave mixture to cool to room temperature if possible.
4. Roll out each pastry block to about 3mm thick to fit your pie dish. Line dish with one piece of pastry so it goes over the edges. Add the filling, brushing the outer pastry edge with some egg wash, then cover with the other piece of pastry as the lid. Press the pastry in snugly around the sides of the dish, then press the two layers together firmly to seal. Trim away excess pastry. Brush the top of the pie with leftover egg wash.
5. Bake in the lower half of the oven for 35 minutes or until the pastry is dark golden brown. Serve with ice cream and cream.