Become our next star
Do you want to be part of our live Grand Final audience? Seat bookings will be available from Monday 15 August .
"Good Morning" is giving you the chance to share your talent with the nation - Just make a video of your amazing talent and enter our FIND A STAR competition.
To enter, simply send the completed application form, letter of consent from a parent or guardian (if you are under 18), a DVD or post a YouTube clip of up to 90 seconds in duration showcasing your voice and a recent photo of yourself.
You must be the person singing in the entry video. Singers can perform acapella or with a backing track accompaniment, or you may accompany yourself on guitar, piano, or other instrument, so long as it is being played by you, and you can bring it to Avalon Studios in Wellington (we have a grand piano available here at the studios).
If you are selected to be one of our 24 preliminary-finalists, your entry video will be played on Good Morning between Monday 15 August and Wednesday 17 August.
If you are selected to be one of our 15 semi-finalists, you must be available to travel to Wellington between Sunday 21 August, and Friday 26 August, to perform live on the show!
Make it through to the Grand Final and you'll return to Avalon for our grand finale on Good Morning on Friday 26 August.
The 2011 Find A Star prize pool is provided by:
Competition Terms and Conditions:
1. The overall winner of the "Good Morning" FIND A STAR competition ("Winner") ("Competition") will win a trip for two to Sydney for meetings with music industry professionals, ("Sydney Trip") staying at The Quality Hotel Cambridge for five nights with transfers from the airport - hotel - airport, three 3-hour career design sessions with Gray Bartlett ("Career Design") and a recording session with Mike McCarthy of Manuka Studios ("Recording Prize") who will arrange and record one song to release-quality standards ("Prize").
2. The first 30 entries received by Good Morning will win a SingStar game title.
3. A prize comprised of a Samson C01-SR850 headphone and microphone bundle, a Belkin Go Studio handheld audio recorder, a Belkin 8 outlet extreme surge protector, and a Tascam CD-VT2 Vocal Trainer will be awarded to the first runner up ("First Runner Up"). A Playstation 3 Consol, 2 SingStar Wireless mics, nine PS3 SingStar games and a $50 PSN card will be awarded to the second runner up ("Second Runner Up"). Our Viewer's Choice Winner ("Viewer's Choice Winner") will receive 2 Singstar Wireless mics, nine PS3 SingStar games and $100 in PSN cards ("Viewer's Choice Prize"). The First Runner Up, Second Runner Up and the Viewer's Choice Winner are all the "Runners-Up", all Runners-Up prizes are the "Runners-Up Prizes".
4. The Winner must be able to make their own way and at their own cost to and from either Christchurch, Wellington or Auckland International airports for the Sydney Trip.
5. The Sydney Trip includes ground transfers airport-hotel-airport and breakfast each day at the Quality Hotel Cambridge. The Winner will be accompanied by Gray Bartlett on the Sydney Trip for the purposes of introducing the Winner to music industry contacts. The Winner must be available to travel between Monday October 24 and Thursday 1 December.
6. If the Winner is under the age of 18 they must be accompanied on the Sydney Trip by an adult guardian.
7. The Career Design sessions will include but are not limited to publicity, career advice, assistance with finding professional opportunities and exposure in the winner's field of performance and will include assistance with seeking a recording contract. No guarantee is expressed or implied that professional opportunities or a recording deal will be secured. Final decisions on any matter associated with the Career Design Package are with NZEA Ltd and Gray Bartlett.
8. The Winner must be prepared to travel to Auckland to work with Gray Bartlett. Travel and all associated costs must be met by the Winner. The timing of these appointments is to be at a mutually agreed date between the Winner and NZEA Ltd.
9. The Recording Prize includes the making of a backing track
with Manuka Studios, the vocal recording session, editing, mixing
and mastering to CD. The Prize is not available to:
(a) bands (solo singers only); or
(b) private musicians (only the existing team at Manuka Studios is to be used in the production).
10. The Winner must meet all the costs of travelling to Auckland for the purposes of working with Mike McCarthy at Manuka Studios.
11. The closing date for entries is noon on Tuesday 9 August, 2011. Each Competition entrant ("Competitor") must provide their name, address (for the delivery of any prize), phone numbers, email and the details of any music, including the name of the song and the artist, used in any entry video entered in the Competition ("Entry Video").
12. Each Entry Video must feature the Competitor singing.
13. Each Competitor agrees that they will, if requested by TVNZ, make themselves exclusively available for any publicity and promotion at venues, dates and times designated by TVNZ.
14. If requested by TVNZ, each Competitor agrees to make all appearances required by TVNZ at the Avalon Studios in Lower Hutt, Wellington including, without limitation, on Monday 22 August, Tuesday 23 August, Wednesday 24 August ("Semi-Finalists") and Friday 26 August ("Finalists"). Semi-Finalists and Finalists must be able to travel to Wellington between 21 August and 26 August if required. Accommodation in Wellington will be provided by the Bolton Hotel. Semi-Finalists and Finalists under the age of 18 that are required to travel to Wellington must be accompanied by a guardian, the guardian must meet their own travel costs to Wellington.
15. The 24 preliminary-finalists will be selected by TVNZ. The
15 Semi-Finalists will be selected by audience voting. Five
Finalists will be selected by a judging panel and audience voting.
Good Morning reserves the right to select a judge's wildcard
Finalist or Finalists.
16. The Winner and Runners-Up (together the "Winners") will be selected on Friday, 26 August by a judging panel and audience voting. The Viewers Choice Winner will be selected by audience text voting.
17. For the purposes of voting, see the "Find a Star" voting terms and conditions to be published by 12 August 2011. TVNZ reserves the right not to select any Semi-Finalists or Winners if there are insufficient entries or if the quality of the entries is poor.
18. Other than as specified in these terms and conditions, the Prize and the Runners-Up Prizes ("Prizes") do not include the cost of medical expenses, spending money, airport or hotel transfers, travel or personal insurance, items of a personal nature, meals or beverages, airport taxes, baggage duties, government taxes or levies, laundry, telephone calls, additional nights or room upgrades. The Prizes are subject to availability, are non-transferable and not redeemable for cash.
19. TVNZ accepts no responsibility for entries lost, damaged, delayed or unable to be viewed.
20. A Competitor may not submit more than one entry in the Competition.
21. There is no age limit for any Competitor. If any Competitor is under 18 years, they must include with their entry form a consent letter to enter the Competition from a parent or guardian.
22. It is a condition of the Competition that each Semi-Finalist or Finalist required to come to Wellington, or their guardian accompanying them, may be requested to present a credit card upon arrival at the Bolton Hotel to cover any incidentals which may be incurred.
23. It is a condition of accepting the Prize that the Winner, or their guardian accompanying them, may be requested to present a credit card upon arrival at the Sydney hotel to cover any incidentals which may be incurred.
24. Each Competitor warrants that any Entry Video submitted by them is their own creation or fully cleared by the Competitor for entry in the Competition and that such Entry Video will not violate or infringe upon any rights of any nature whatsoever of any person, firm or corporation other than in the case of any music used in the Entry Video.
25. Any Entry Video entered in the Competition becomes the property of TVNZ. TVNZ is entitled absolutely and in perpetuity to all copyright, proprietary and subsidiary rights in any Entry Video. The Competitor, either as the creator or as the duly authorised agent of the creator(s) of the Entry Video, waives in perpetuity all moral rights in any such Entry Video.
26. Prizes, the relevant documentation or contact details, will be delivered to the address listed on the Winners' entry forms. Winners should allow up to 21 days for delivery of the Prizes. TVNZ is not responsible for the safe delivery of the Prizes, although all care will be taken.
27. Competitors acknowledge that the Prizes are provided by sponsors and agree that TVNZ will not be responsible for the failure of any sponsor to provide any of the Prizes. TVNZ accepts no responsibility for the quality of any of the Prizes.
28. Competitors must perform either acapella, with a backing track accompaniment or by accompanying themselves on guitar, piano or other instrument provided the Competitor can bring any such instrument, other than a piano which can be provided, to Avalon Studios in Wellington at their own cost.
29. By entering this Competition you agree to the TVNZ standard terms and conditions on the TVNZ website as well as those specific to this Competition.
Voting Terms and Conditions
- Any SMS/text messages sent to 8687 will cost the voter $0.99
including GST each.
- To Vote text the letter that corresponds with your favourite
entrant to 8687.
- Voting is open to all residents of New Zealand.
- SMS voting is open to Telecom New Zealand Vodafone NZ, Telstra
Clear, Black & White, Compass, 2 degrees and Orcon
- Viewers whilst on roaming are not eligible to vote.
- TVNZ reserves the right to provide information about your
participation to the mobile network you belong to.
- You must be the owner of the mobile phone to vote via Text
Messaging or get the permission of the person responsible for
paying the phone bill before voting.
- TVNZ reserves the right to update the terms and conditions on
tvnz.co.nz without notice.
- TVNZ may be required by law to disclose information you provide. TVNZ will only make the disclosure if it believes in good faith that it is required to do so.
- All votes are deemed to be received at the time of receipt into
the Find A Star competition database, NOT at the time of
transmission by the voter.
- For each text message entry a reply text message will be sent
back to your mobile phone to let you know your vote has been
- Response times for these reply text messages may vary and are
subject to network coverage and availability, entry volumes, the
memory capacity of the SIM card inside your mobile phone and/or any
- No responsibility is accepted for non-receipt for any reason of
a text message. No refunds will be given on calls/messages charged
for but not received in time to be counted in the voting
- The eventual delivery of SMS messages to the Find A Star
competition database is largely dependent on additional parties and
the effective functioning of the sender's mobile operator's systems
and infrastructure. Consequently, TVNZ will not be liable for
non-receipt of or late receipt of messages due to issues resulting
from services provided by the participant's mobile providers.
Should there be a dispute, TVNZ shall endeavour to make the
necessary investigations to the best of its abilities and attempt
to rectify the discrepancy, but should such investigations prove to
be inconclusive, no further action can be taken against TVNZ, other
entities involved in the competition, or the mobile operators by
competition participants and/or voters.
- Votes will be monitored for irregularities. TVNZ reserves the right to adjust final votes should any voting irregularities be identified
- In order for TVNZ to ensure viewers are receiving relevant benefits and a quality service, participants may be contacted on their mobile number by TVNZ representatives and asked to participate in brief surveys on the promotion. Participation in surveys is strictly on a voluntary basis and at no cost to the participant. Participants can only be selected once, at random and will not be contacted more than once.
Complaints and Queries
- Any complaints should be addressed in writing to TVNZ Licensing
- PO Box 3819, Auckland.
- Any queries relating to the competition should call TVNZ (09)
916 7000 in the first instance providing their name and contact