Astar's Recipe - Steak & Onions, Coleslaw, Chocolate Pudding - 16 July
Easy meals for children to cook for the family.
Braised steak and onions
500g blade rump or cheap cuts of beef - all fat removed
Little oil for frying
About 1/2 to 2/3 cup flour
Salt and pepper to seasoning
2 large red onions cut into rings
2 carrots cut into rings give them a good wash and leave skins on
2 large kumera - cut into large pieces give them a good wash and leave skins on
Packet Maggi brown onion soup
1 can of Dad's beer
Handful of parsley and thyme
Large casserole dish with a lid.
- Pre-set oven to 160c
- Place the flour salt and pepper into a large plastic bag.
- Put meat into bag and give it a good shake to coat all meat.
- Heat pan with oil then fry to brown beef.
- Remove from pan and place into a large casserole dish
- Add a little more oil to pan and fry off onions until soft.
- Add carrots and kumera and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add to casserole dish.
- Sprinkle soup mix to pan along with beer and stir to mix.
- Pour over beef and vegetables.
- Put lid on casserole and bake for a good 1 1/5 hours at
Recipe for my hungry, busy Dunedin students.
This is the time of year when cabbages are in abundance. This salad keeps for 14 days in the fridge and makes for the base of a healthy quick and easy meal. Just pile onto a plate with fresh bread, a few chunks of cheese, chopped apple slices and a handful of nuts.
1 1/4 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup water
Small cup sugar
1 tsp celery seeds
1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp tumeric
Place above in a pot and bring to the boil and allow to cool.
Into a big lidded plastic container add:
1 finely chopped large cabbage
Grate 2 large carrots and 1 large red onion
Couple sticks celery
Pour over sauce and toss thoroughly.
Lid and keep in the fridge.
Chocolate self-saucing pudding
Recipe obtained from Healthy Food Guide magazine which comes out monthly. Magazine contains excellent nutritional information and great recipes.
1 1/4 cups self raising flour
3 tbsp cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup trim milk
2 tbsp melted low-fat spread
1 tsp vanilla
For the sauce:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups boiling water
Medium sized oven-proof dish
- Pre set oven to 180c
- Into a medium bowl, mix together sifted flour, cocoa and sugar.
- In a separate bowl or jug, mix milk, melted spread and vanilla essence.
- Pour into flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spoon mix into oven proof dish.
- Mix together sugar cocoa and cornflour
- Sprinkle over batter.
- Carefully pour boiling water over the back of a spoon onto the pudding.
- Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until pudding springs back when lightly touched.