Astar's Recipe - Carrot Cake, Fish Pie, Sausage Curry - 25 June
Christine's Ultimate Carrot Cake
1/4 cup oil (i.e. peanut or sunflower oil)
1 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup low-fat milk
2 egg whites and 1 whole egg
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups wholemeal flour
2 tsps baking powder, baking soda and vanilla essence
2 tsps cinammon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cups chopped walnuts and raisins or chopped prunes
1 234g can pineapple crushed with juice
- In a large bowl, beat together the oil, apple sauce, milk, egg whites and egg until well mixed.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinammon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Make a well in the centre.
- Carefully pour the apple sauce mixture into the well in the dry ingredients and mix them together lightly with a holed spoon.
- Add the carrots, walnuts, raisins, pineapple and vanilla.
- Pour mixture into a 23cm greased cake tin.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes at 180 degrees C.
- The cake is cooked when a skewer inserted comes out clean and the cake has come away from the side of the tin. This cake is very moist!
- Allow the cake to cool 10 minutes before turning out and leaving the cake to cool on a cake rack.
- In a food processor, put 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese, 3 tblspns low fat yoghurt, 1tsp vanilla, 1 tblspn lemon juice, 1/4 cup cream cheese, and 3 tblspns icing sugar.
- Process until blended.
- When the cake is cold, spread the topping over the cake and decorate with walnuts or grated lemon rind.
Leanne's Fish Pie
For the base:
3/4 cup uncooked rice
30 grams butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
Salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a saucepan
- Add onion and dry rice, mix well.
- Add 2 cups boiling water.
- Stir and cook for 20 minutes covered.
- After this has cooked, add curry powder, beaten egg and salt and pepper.
- Press into a quiche tin.
- Flake 1/2 of a smoked fish if you have one or (open one large can of Sealords smoked fish if you don't have a fresh one.)
- Flake the fish over the rice base.
1 small onion
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup milk
55g cheese, grated
Mix the filling together and pour over the flaked fish and base and bake 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes oruntil cooked and firm to touch and golden on top.
Serve with a salad.
Trudi's Sweet Sausage Curry
10-12 beef sausages
4 large apples
1 large onion
3-4 heaped tablespoons brown sugar
2 heaped tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 cups chicken stock
1/2-3/4 cup cream
- Cook sausages - "I usually boil, then slice into bize size pieces."
- Chop apples into bite size pieces and slice onion.
- Cook onion and apple in a wok with a bit of oil until onion clear and the apple is soft.
- Add curry powder, brown sugar and juice of 1 lemon.
- Stir then add flour, stir well.
- Pour in 2 cups chicken stock, stir well, and then add cooked sliced sausages.
- Simmer over low heat for about 10 mins stirring frequently.
- Lastly add cream and stir well, heat through.
- Serve over white rice.
You can also do this recipe with cooked shredded chicken instead of sausages - either recipe makes a really yummy sweet curry over rice. "This is a favourite with my kids!"