Astar's lollie roll and vegetarian sushi recipes - 6 October
Time: 20 mins
Makes 2.5 rolls
250g Malt biscuits (finely crushed)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbs cocoa powder
Lolly centre: eg Liquorice Allsorts,
Eskimo sweets or firm Marshmallows
Soften the butter, condensed milk, vanilla, sugar, mix together, then add cocoa and finely crushed biscuits.
Take 1/2 cup of the mixture and place in one side of the Sushezi and repeat the same on the other side.
Take the plunger and make a groove down the centre of both sides. Place your chosen lolly in the groove.
Close the Sushezi and fit the end cap, twist and lock and follow the operating instructions.
Push the mixture out into the Glad Wrap, roll up and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour. Unwrap and slice.
Time: 20 mins
1. Open your Sushezi and lightly oil the inside. Wet your hands to help handle the rice better. Make sure the plunger rod is sitting in the screw thread position. Pack 1/2 cup of Sushi rice mixture into one half of the Sushezi and repeat with another 1/2 cup into the other half, again making sure the plunger rod is in the screw thread position.
2. Lift out the plunger rod and lay it in the centre of one half of the rice. Press firmly down, making sure that the end plate is in position at the screw thread end. Repeat for the other half. This will provide a neat, straight groove. Lay your ingredients into the grooves.
3. Replace the plunger into the thread end in the screw channel with the end plate against the end of the thread.
4. Gently close the two halves together, starting at a 45deg angle.
5. Clip the latches shut. Fit the end cap by lining up the marks and make sure it is secure by twisting to lock in place.
6. Hold the Sushezi in one hand and turn the plunger knob until the mark on the rod is reached (approx. 5 full turns). This will compress the rice mixture to the right consistency.
7. Twist the end cap to unlock and remove the cap. On a bench or tabletop, place a nori sheet glossy side face down with the longest edge closest to you. Push the plunger right through. Position the newly formed rice roll on to the nori sheet.
8. Roll up the nori sheet. Wet the nori sheet at the joining end with a little water to ensure that the overlap sticks.
9. To allow the nori sheet to soften, leave for 15 minutes before slicing. Moisten the blade of a sharp knife with water. Slice through. Wipe the blade of the knife clean after each cut. Using the cutting former will make the individual sushi evenly shaped and professional in appearance.