A Christchurch coroner has released his report on the mysterious death of a scientist in Antarctica.
But eight years on, it's still not clear if Dr Rodney Marks accidentally overdosed or was fatally drugged.
The 32-year-old Australian astrophysicist died three days after falling ill at the South Pole station.
The coroner says he cannot rule out foul play.
He found Marks died from methanol poisoning but says there's no suggestion of suicide.
Police told an inquest they had trouble getting all the information they needed. And the coroner has called for new rules covering the investigation of deaths in Antarctica.