TVNZ Ondemand FAQs - PlayStation 3
Important notice for PS3 Users:
Were sorry to say from 31st March, we are temporarily shutting down TVNZ Ondemand on your PS3.
The good news is well be up and running with a new and improved service on your PS3 by early 2015!
If you want to be first in the know when TVNZ OD will be back on your PS3, visit tvnz.co.nz/ps3 to sign up to our mailing list.
1. How do I navigate to the TVNZ Ondemand PS3 Player?
You can navigate to the TVNZ Ondemand PS3 player via the following methods:
- Select the TVNZ Ondemand icon (located under the TV icon) on the cross media bar
- Open an Internet browser, select the 'search' menu option and type in any of the following urls:
- http://tvnz.co.nz/[show name / show id]
When you first reach the site, select the X button on PS3 command pad twice. This is required to focus the flash in the Ondemand PS3 player.
2. Why can't I see the Ondemand icon on the cross media bar?
To see the TVNZ Ondemand icon you should first ensure that you have the latest PS3 system firmware.
You can update to the latest firmware via the following methods:
- Restart your PS3
- Select the Settings icon on the cross media bar, and then select the Systems Update Menu option
If you still can't see the TVNZ Ondemand icon then try following these steps:
1. On the XMB navigate to the PlayStation Store and hit X and sign in if needed.
2. In the store navigate vertically on the left hand menu to the Other Media option and select Enter
3. In the right hand menu choose Applications & Services option and select Enter
4. Navigate horizontally on the right hand menu to the Mubi application and select Enter
5. Navigate to the Download option and select Enter, then go ahead and download the Mubi application.
6. At the conclusion of the download return to the main menu and the TV / Video Services icon and menu should display.
7. To then install the TVNZ Ondemand app navigate vertically to the My Channels icon, select the TVNZ Ondemand option and hit X
7. Select the Yes prompt to download software and select Enter
8. At the conclusion of the download the browser will automatically open and display the TVNZ Ondemand application.
From this point onwards the TVNZ Ondemand icon should stay on your XMB.
If you have any further difficulties please contact Sony PS3 Customer Service.
Watching TVNZ Ondemand Content
1. What TVNZ content is available on the TVNZ Ondemand PS3?
The TVNZ Ondemand PS3 comprises the exact same content that is available via the tvnz.co.nz online Ondemand site.
At any point in time there is a range of approximately 150 shows and over 1000 episodes available for viewing.
2. How do I navigate within the TVNZ Ondemand PS3 site?
TVNZ have placed all of the Ondemand show categories into a horizontal navigation so you can find your favourite programmes quickly by navigating left and right on the PS3 D-pad.
Here are the horizontal navigation show categories:
- All Shows:Contains an alphabetic listing of all available episodes and extras organised by show title. Use the alphabet or the Search box function to search all tvnz.co.nz Ondemand content by show title.
- Recommended:Contains recommended current affairs shows and new episodes broadcast on TV ONE, TV2, TVNZ 6 or TVNZ 7 Navigate this list vertically to view available content.
- Most Recent:Contains the most recent ONE News, current affairs shows and new episodes broadcast on TV ONE, TV2, TVNZ 6 or TVNZ 7. Navigate this list vertically to view available content.
- Most Popular:Contains content that was popular Ondemand that is now older than seven days. Navigate this list vertically to view available content.
- Video Extras:Contains exclusive interview and clips from your favourite shows. Navigate this list vertically to view available content.
- Previews:Contains shows that are coming up on air. Navigate this list vertically to view available content.
3. How do I select and watch my show?
Select the show you wish to view by selecting the X button on the PS3 command pad.
There will usually be a short commercial that plays before the programme and between each part (or 'Chapter') of the show. After the initial advert plays, your show will automatically start.
4. How do I use the TVNZ Ondemand PS3 video controller?
In Standard Screen mode you can navigate the PS3 video controller by navigating left and right on the PS3 D-pad or by using the L3 mouse thumbstick.
In Full Screen mode you canonlynavigate the PS3 video controller by using the L3 mouse joystick.
Select the button you wish to use by selecting the X button on the PS3 command pad.
Here is how each of the controls work:
- Back:Selecting the 'Back' button returns the user to their original place in the main menu.
- Chapter:Selecting the 'Chapter' back and forward buttons will navigate the user to the previous or next chapter
- Rewind / Fast forward:Selecting the 'Rewind / Fast forward' button will navigate the user to the previous or next key frame within the chapter (Note: a key frame is approx 15-30 seconds)
- Pause / Play:Selecting the 'Pause / Play' button will pause or play the content
- High Quality / Standard Quality:Selecting the 'High Quality / Standard Quality' button will change the quality of the video displayed. The default setting is Standard Quality. (High quality = 700kbs, Standard Quality = 300kbs)
- Full Screen / Standard Screen:Selecting the 'Full Screen / Standard Screen' button will display the video in Full Screen / Standard Screen mode. The default setting is Standard Screen.
The following section details tips and tricks to ensure a premium PS3 viewing experience:
Tip 1: Video controller bar selection
When playing an ad unit and making a video controller bar selection ensure that the mouse (L3) is not over the ad unit.
If the mouse is over the ad unit and a video controller bar selection is made, the advertisers website will open in a new browser.
If this should occur the best way to return to the browser is by selecting the L2 button on your controller.
Tip 2: Multiple chapter selection
When playing video contentdo notnavigate continuously through the chapters. If the chapters are selected multiple times (approx 10 times) in a short period, the buffer will fill and it will cause the next ad unit to play in fast forward.
If this should occur the best way to release the buffer is to refresh the browser by selecting the triangle button on the PS3 command pad and selecting the refresh option.
Tip 3: Show not playing
If your selected show opens the video player, but video does not play, follow the steps below:
Select the triangle button on the PS3 command pad, select Tools > Cookies > Allow.
1. How soon after on-air broadcast can I view on the PS3?
A recently aired show is typically available for viewing 12-24 hrs after broadcast.
2. Can I play shows if I live outside of New Zealand?
No. The shows have licence rights cleared only for within New Zealand.
3. Does it cost me to use the service or is it free?
TVNZ will not charge you for any of the videos or content you watch. It's all free.
4. Will my Internet Service Provider (ISP) charge me for using this service?
Depending on what plan you have in place with your ISP, you may be charged for the data used in streaming video.
1. What are the minimum system requirements for watching video on my PS3?
To have the optimum viewer experience, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Resident in New Zealand. If you live outside of New Zealand you will be able to browse the website but not view any content. This is because our content rights do not permit content to be viewed overseas.
- Broadband. If you do not have broadband and are using a dial-up connection you will experience difficulty loading and viewing tvnz.co.nz Ondemand content via the PS3.
2. Why am I receiving a System Timezone Error?
TVNZ content rights prohibit users from viewing content if their PS3 does not have the correct Timezone settings.
To amend your settings:Under the PS3 Settings menu, select Date and Time Settings.
- Select the Date and Time option to ensure that you have the time set correctly.
- Select the Time Zone option to ensure that you have the time zone set to: GMT +12:00 Wellington
contact us here.