S3 Ep5 Spain: Tuna Croquettes
Images © Babiche Martens
Makes 12 • Preparation time 45 minutes • Cooking time 10 minutes
100ml grapeseed oil
50g wholemeal flour
100ml low-fat milk
pinch salt and white pepper
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
150g blanched spinach, chopped (about 8 bunches)
4 spring onions, finely chopped
100g tuna in spring water, drained
1 teaspoon gelatine dissolved in
2 teaspoons water
3 egg whites, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
4 wholemeal pita breads,
toasted until dry, finely crumbed
For the croquettes
1. Melt oil in a small heavy-based saucepan and add flours. Stir well to combine and place over a medium heat. Cook until flours are a straw colour.
2. Whisk in milk and continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the sauce is very thick. Season with salt and white pepper.
3. Add Parmesan, spinach, spring onions, tuna and dissolved gelatine. Mix well, then leave to cool.
4. Using a piping bag fitted with a large plain nozzle, pipe mixture into long rolls on to a baking tray lined with baking paper, or simply shape by hand. Cover and place in refrigerator to set mixture for at least 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C.
6. Remove mixture from refrigerator and cut into 5cm long croquettes.
7. Dip croquettes in egg white, then pita crumbs. Repeat once more. Place back on to lined baking tray.
8. Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes until hot.
©Random House NZ and Mike Van de Elzen