S3 Ep1 France: Croque Monsieur Crêpes
Images © Babiche Martens
Makes 10 crêpes • Preparation time 30 minutes • Cooking time 20 minutes
1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
olive oil spray
½ teaspoon smoke salt
10 slices Serrano ham
20 very thin slices Gruyère
For the sauce
1. Preheat oven to 150°C.
2. Cook cauliflower in lightly salted boiling water until tender, 3–4 minutes. Drain well, spray lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with smoke salt.
3. Place in a lightly oiled roasting dish and roast until dry and just starting to colour, about 20 minutes. This will concentrate the flavour of the cauliflower.
4. Remove from oven and place roasted cauliflower in a blender and blend until smooth.
1. Change the oven setting to grill.
2. Lay your crêpes flat on the bench top, spread each with ‘white’ sauce, top with half a slice of Serrano ham and finish with a very thin slice of Gruyère cheese.
3. Fold crêpes to enclose filling, place each crêpe on a baking tray, top with a little more white sauce, half a slice of Serrano ham and a slice of Gruyère cheese and place under the hot grill. Grill until golden. Serve hot.
©Random House NZ and Mike Van de Elzen