S3 Ep 13 - Autumn Rice Paper Rolls
Autumn Rice Paper Rolls
Makes 12 • Preparation time 45 minutes • Cooking time 50 minutes
Makes: 2 cups
500g red plums, halved and stoned
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
5 star anise
Rice paper rolls
2 quinces, peeled, quartered and cored
1 teaspoon liquid honey
250g pumpkin, peeled and julienned, blanched for 10 seconds
250g butternut, peeled and julienned, blanched for 10 seconds
4 leaves kale, destalked and blanched
4 leaves silverbeet, destalked and blanched
2 fresh pears, skin on, julienned, mixed with juice of 1 lemon
1 small telegraph cucumber, cut into ribbons and julienned
½ cup coriander and mint leaves
¼ cup dry-roasted walnuts, finely chopped
12 (22cm) rice paper rounds
For the sauce
- Place plums, vinegar, maple syrup and star anise in a saucepan. Cover and cook over a low heat for 40 minutes.
- Remove star anise and place plum mixture in a food processor and process until you have a sauce.
For the rolls
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place quinces in a roasting dish with honey and a splash of water. Cover and roast for about 50 minutes until soft. Once cooked and cooled, cut into thin slices.
- Place remaining ingredients except rice paper rounds in a large bowl and stir in 6 tablespoons plum sauce.
- Have a large bowl of hot water on bench top, drop in 1 rice paper round. Lift out and place on a damp tea towel. Place some mixture in the middle and fold over both sides, then roll up into a cigar shape.
- Place slightly apart on a tray lined with plastic wrap, cover with plastic wrap and continue making rice paper rolls. If not serving immediately, keep well covered and place in refrigerator. Serve with plum sauce for dipping.