S2 Ep7: Ice Cream
Try my delicious ice-cream in the cones made with seeds or with one of my fabulous toppings.
You will need a sugar thermometer for the syrup.
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 vanilla pods, split
4 egg yolks
225g cream, whipped
1. Place water, sugar, honey and split vanilla pods in a saucepan and heat to 120C. Take off the heat, discard vanilla pods and set syrup aside.
2. Beat egg yolks until thick.
3. Pour syrup over egg yolks and beat until cool. Fold in whipped cream and yoghurt.
4. Pour ice-cream mixture into a plastic container and freeze overnight.
Serve in home-made cones with one of the toppings below.
Brazilian nut topping
1 cup Brazil nuts
1/2 cup fruit mix (golden raisins, cranberries, sultanas, currants)
4 tablespoons chopped dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Place Brazil nuts on a baking tray and roast in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and cool.
3. Using a pestle and mortar, crush Brazil nuts. Alternatively, place in a clean tea towel and smash with a rolling pin.
4. Place crushed nuts in a bowl, add fruit mix and chocolate and combine.
Plum and cherry sauce
6 ripe plums, halved and stones removed
20 ripe cherries, pitted
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
1. Place all ingredients in a heavy-based saucepan and bring to a simmer. Continue simmering until liquid has reduced.
2. Transfer sauce to a blender and purée until smooth.
Variation: Plum and Cherry Mousse
1. Place sauce in a cream canister. Charge to make into a mousse.