S2 Ep6: Beef sandwich
Ask the butcher to trim off the fat from the brisket. This is a cheaper cut of meat. Always use iodised sea salt.
1kg beef brisket, trimmed
juice of 4 lemons
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cracked peppercorns
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon crushed pepper
6 wholemeal buns
1. Score both sides of beef at a 45 degree angle against the grain of the meat, slicing about a quarter of the way through the meat.
2. Mix lemon juice, salt, pepper and oil together and rub over meat.
3. Place meat in a plastic bag, remove the air from the bag, secure and leave in refrigerator overnight.
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Remove meat from marinade.
3. Mix rosemary, thyme, garlic, pepper and salt together. Rub all over meat.
4. Heat a heavy-based frying pan until hot. Sear brisket on both sides until brown. Place in preheated oven and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Remove from oven, place meat on a rack over a tray, cover with aluminium foil and rest for 10 minutes.
Slice brisket into six pieces. Serve in a wholemeal bun with Brussels Slaw and Chow Chow.