Nearly half the New Zealand population tuned in to watch the Rugby World Cup final, making it the most watched television event ever.
Figures from Nielson showed just more than two million people tuned in to watch the match between New Zealand and France.
Rugby World Cup matches also took up the next to spots on the list.
The All Blacks-Australia game came in second, fetching around 10,000 fewer viewers than the final.
The opening match between the All Blacks and Tonga took the third spot, surpassing the 2000 boxing bout between David Tua and Lennox Lewis.
Top 12 most watched television events:
1. RWC 2011 Final (NZ v France) 2,036,900
2. RWC 2011 Semi-final (NZ v Australia) 2,024,000
3. RWC 2011 Opening Game (NZ v Tonga) 1,930,000
4. Boxing - Tua v Lewis 1,841,230
5. ONE News Special - Diana's death 1,703,310
6. 2000 Olympics Opening Ceremony 1,654,310
7. ONE News Special - Diana's Funeral 1,649,710
8. RWC 2011 Qtr Final (NZ v Argentina) 1,624,400
9. RWC 2003 Final (England v Australia) 1,604,800
10. Diana Exclusive 1,516,780
11. RWC 2011 Opening Ceremony 1,499,160
12. RWC 2007 (NZ v France) 1,410,410