Editor's Pick

The Mentalist on TVNZ Ondemand

The Mentalist

Series 6, Episode 1 The Desert Rose 29 Jul 14 00:40:07

Top Shows

Contact ONE News

Sport stars respond to Christchurch earthquake

Published: 6:28PM Tuesday February 22, 2011 Source: ONE Sport

Athletes are sending messages of support following the fatal earthquake that rocked Christchurch this afternoon.

Messages have been flowing in via social media sites since the 6.3 magnitude quake hit at 12:51pm.

The Black Caps, currently in India for the Cricket World Cup, sent messages through all-rounder Scott Styris, who tweeted, "Hope everyone in Chch is ok. Some worried boys here in India. Be safe."

Opener Martin Guptill wrote "Thoughts go out to the people of Chch today. Terrible thing to have happened again," and on its official site New Zealand cricket posted this message:

"The team woken early in India to news of another Christchurch earthquake. Thoughts are with everyone and hoping all are OK," New Zealand Cricket said on its Twitter account. 

The team manager said the players' immediate families and friends in the affected area had been confirmed as safe.

International Cricket Council chief executive Haroon Lorgat said that an appropriate gesture of respect will be made when New Zealand face Australia in their next game in Nagpur on Friday. 

"At times like this, sport can only offer its support and its deepest sympathy to those who have lost loved ones during such a tragedy," he said.

Meanwhile, Hurricanes prop Neemia Tialata was in disbelief that another earthquake had struck.

"Are you serious another earthquake hitting Christchurch!!! 6.3 hope you all good chch tweeps prayers are with y'all right now... [sic]"

Injured Hurricanes team-mate Piri Weepu wrote: "Just feel so helpless watching people!! Just wish you could do something in some way to help."

Chiefs loose forward Liam Messam sent his thoughts to his on-field rivals in the city.

"Hope our Crusader brothers are safe. Sad day in Christchurch."

The Blues, who heard the news from South Africa ahead of their match with the Sharks, also sent messages of support with winger Joe Rokocoko posting this on Twitter: "Just woke up on r 1st day in africa and just herd abot the sad news in christchch, thinkng of you all, happy 2 hear my sister is safe [sic]."

Triathlete Kris Gemmell lauded the efforts of rescuers and the public: "Watching the TV with all the drama in CHCH. There wil not b enough medals 4 all the hero's down there! [sic]"

Christchurch-born Warrior forward Lewis Brown held concerns for family in the city: "Finally heard from my mum! She's safe! Hurts to see my home town in a bad way! Feel helpless!"

Leave your messages on the messageboard below.

Quake appeals have been launched - find out more here .
Follow TVNZ's continuous live updates online  and LIVE on-air and streamed coverage will resume at 5:30am .

Add a Comment:

Post new comment
  • royalcourtier said on 2011-03-14 @ 21:33 NZDT: Report abusive post

    The whole focus of this debate is wrong. There is no reason for any of these buildings to be demolished. It is not a case of which should be saved, but which should be demolished. There are few which cannot be saved. What people are missing is that if a building is demolished unnecessarily, and illegally, there won't be any insurance. Only the city can approve demolition - civil defence cannot do so.

  • Adam Chc said on 2011-03-09 @ 14:44 NZDT: Report abusive post

    As a small business based near the epicentre in Christchurch we are strugeling to survive and simply can not afford a day off. I also do not think I or my staff are reasdy for a day of mourning yet. I am surprised the govenment would even consider this, it shows how out of touch they are to the impact this is having on business and staff.

  • annej said on 2011-03-08 @ 15:09 NZDT: Report abusive post

    I must congratulate Bob Parker for his leadership and his caring nature to all people in Christchurch and his unfaultering continual contact with his people, a fine leader and the restoration of Christchurch should go through him and the council and not left to those who do not care about the uniqueness of Christchurch, sack Brownlee, send him back where he come from.

  • annej said on 2011-03-08 @ 15:04 NZDT: Report abusive post

    At a time when the suffering is entering an unacceptable time frame of two weeks, John Key throws the baby out with the bath water and states that the government will buy the land off people who have suffered so much,this is akin to pulling the rug from underneath those who are stressed,do not know their fate and have lost loved ones, more thought and empathy is needed from central govt and to deal with the bulk of the people and not just the business sector.Thoughts and prayers to all.

  • Huatoki said on 2011-03-08 @ 13:37 NZDT: Report abusive post

    As with every issue he's dealt with, Brownlee crashes in with an ill-advised and inflammatory attitude, then scuttles behind his officials and is unavailable for comment. Christchurch needs unifying, reassuring and competent leadership and Brownlee consistently fails on all three counts. We need resources, not divisiveness. If the minister cannot deliver them quickly and efficiently, he needs to go. We deserve better.

Advertising