TVNZ Ondemand: Frequently Asked Questions
Having problems with TVNZ Ondemand? Let's see if we can help...
The FAQs below are mostly about watching TVNZ Ondemand on a computer. So before you read on, you might want to check out our dedicated FAQs for other devices.
As a first step it'd be worth checking that your computer setup meets our system requirements and also reading our FAQs below to see if they can help with any issues you're experiencing.
If you can't find the answers you're looking for then you can contact us via our TVNZ Ondemand Feedback form
CURRENT KNOWN ISSUES
AVG Anti-Virus software blocking Ondemand Video - If you have AVG installed (including the AVG Toolbar Add-On), you may find that all Ondemand video, even the actual player itself, is blocked. The software is classifying the TVNZ Ondemand video player and shows as advertising, and a black screen will appear with no controls. To fix this - see the first entry in "Troubleshooting" below titled "Video player won't load - a black box appears with no buttons"
1. Adobe Flash Player version 10 or later
-Check Flash Player version
-Install latest Flash Player
2. You must have broadband internet connection. Dial up won't cut it sorry!
3. Most programmes require you to be viewing from within NZ
4. Computer timezone must be set to '(GMT+12:00) Auckland, Wellington'
-How to change your timezone
5. You must not be blocking ads from our ad servers
-How to unblock our ad servers
AVG Anti-Virus Software Issue - Toolbar Add-On is blocking OnDemend Player & Video from appearing.
How to fix the error:
- Please go into your internet browser and find your Add-on, or Extensions manager: a.Internet Explorer: Tools/Add-On Manger, b.Firefox: Tools/AddOns, c.Chrome: Spanner Icon/Tools/Extensions Manager
- DISABLE any tool-bar add-ons that may have been automatically installed by an antivirus software package - Examples of this include McAfee, AVG, etc (this doesnt disable you anti-virus software).
- Close and re-open your browser, and try playing a video on OnDemand again.
- Playback should now be restored. If it is not, please also try disabling the antivirus software itself .
- If youre still not successful, get back to us with a screen-shot of the OnDemand page and the error in your reply, and we will take you through some further troubleshooting steps.
- PCs - Press Print Screen (usually top right of keyboard), this will take a snap-shot of your screen which you can paste into your email.
- Mac - Press Apple+Shift+3 - this will save a screen-grab (.png file) to your desktop - attach this in your reply.
The data used for detecting your location is your IP address and your time settings. Please note that your time setting is not just the clock time that is displaying, but the actual timezone that is set within your computer.
To set up your timezone...
- If you're using Windows, just double-click on the time at the bottom right of your screen. When the 'Date And Time Properties' box opens up, click the 'Time Zone' tab - then make sure it is set to 'GMT +12:00) Auckland, Wellington'. Then click OK and you should be good to go.
- If you're using a Mac, click on the time at the top right of your screen, then click 'Open Date And Time...' After that opens up, click the 'Time Zone' tab, and make sure the time zone is 'NZST' and the closest city is 'Wellington - New Zealand'. Once that's done, it should be all set up.
To check which version you have, click below:
Test Flash Player Version
To download and install the latest Flash Player for free, click below:
Install Adobe Flash Player
Please check for any ad-blocking software or plug-ins on your computer, then add our ad servers to your whitelist:
-How to unblock our ad servers
To check if this is your issue, please try to view a local show, such as Shortland Street, and then try an international show, such as Grey's Anatomy. If only the local show plays, you most likely have port 1935 blocked.
This port is often blocked by institutions, such as workplaces or universities, but if you are at home, please contact your Internet Service Provider to find out how to unblock port 1935.
If your speed is below 1000kbps, you will probably have issues watching a 700kbps video on TVNZ Ondemand. Try changing to a 400kbps or 300kbps video to see if performance improves.
To find a show using the Shows A-Z search function, simply click the first letter of the show you're looking for, then click on the episode you wish to watch.
To find a show using the title search function, click "Search For A Show", then type in the title of the show, and click 'Search'. Next, just click on the episode you want to watch.
Alternatively, you can click on any 'Watch Episode' links across the rest of the TVNZ site.
TVNZ is always in negotiations with various production companies and distributors to expand our online offering, but if a show you are looking for is currently not available, we apologise, and hope to have it available in the future.
A list of all shows currently on TVNZ Ondemand can befound here
Online rights also come with different expiry dates. Most local shows can stay online for an extended period, but each episode of Shortland Street can stay online for only seven days, and most of our international episodes can stay up for only four weeks.
TVNZ Ondemand videos stream at 300Kbps (kilobytes per second), 400Kbps 700Kbps and 1500Kbps. You can recognise these streams by the 300K, 400K, 700K or 1500K button that appear in the lower right of the player.
No. All videos on TVNZ Ondemand stream as you watch them, downloading only a five-second advance buffer. This means you only use up data for video that you watch. It also means you can quickly skip to the end of a video if you want to without waiting for it to download.
Yes, you totally can with theTVNZ Ondemand apps for iPad and iPhone