Season 3 Episode 9 - St Mary's Bay
This week, television personality Helena McAlpine shows us around her neighbourhood – the historic Auckland suburb of St Mary’s Bay. Despite not being the most ethnically diverse suburb in New Zealand, St Mary’s Bay is still home to plenty of people with interesting cultural stories to tell.
In this episode, we read the diary of one of the first Irish nuns to immigrate to St Mary’s Bay, 160 years ago and a local woman shares the secret to a delicious goat curry just like her mama used to make back in India.
We meet a Chinese woman committed to helping people from her community face their mortality and a local artist shares the inspiration he’s gained from his Greek heritage.
Curator Bio: Helena McAlpine
Helena McAlpine was born in the UK, her mother a Londoner and her father from the tiny Island of St Helena in the South Atlantic Ocean, 2000 kilometres from the Cape Town.
Native St Helenians – or Saints as they call themselves - are descended from slaves. Helena knows she could have blood from Africa, China, India, Indonesia... But she’ll never really know, as the slaves weren't allowed to keep records.
Helena visited St Helena once when she was 14. She and her father had to fly to the Ascension islands on a chartered plane and then catch a boat, which took 3 days. “Then we had to get off the big boat onto a smaller boat that got up close to the side of the island. We had to wait for the waves to be just right before we could jump off onto land!” she says.
This week's recipe
In Neighbourhood this week Jasbir Kaur, an award winning executive chef and trainer, prepares her mum’s Goat Curry, which she and her sister enjoyed every Sunday at home growing up in India.
Prep time: 20-25 mins
- 1 kg goat meat (boneless, cut into dices )
- 2 tbls oil
- 2 tbs ghee
- 1 onion
- sliced 2 green chillis
- 5 cloves of garlic
- chopped 1/4 inch ginger
- chopped 2 large tomatoes
- chopped 2 tbls tomato paste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 star anise
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Coriander and mint to garnish
- 1. Take a pan and add oil and ghee.
- Add whole spices (cinnamon stick , fennel seed and star anise)
- Add onion, cook till brown. Add green chilli and ginger and garlic paste.
- Add chopped tomato and tomato paste, cook till you can see oil.
- Add goat meat and cook till meat seals. Add powdered spices (turmeric , red chilli and garam masala)
- Add water and let it cook till goat is tender.
- Depending on how you are eating make the gravy thick or thin.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and mint.
- Serve hot !