Season 3 Episode 23 - Bay of Islands
This week actor Louise Bolton, who was born in Scotland, takes us on a tour of the beautiful piece of New Zealand she calls home - the Bay of Islands.
We meet an American woman who’s on a mission to help talented young locals fulfill their dreams and a photographer, born in Hamburg, shares the way his adopted homeland has influenced his art. We savour genuine Italian limoncello made to a traditional old family recipe and a man from Mexico shows us the treasure his mum gave him to keep him safe on his travels.
Although Louise’s family moved to England when she was young, she was never allowed - nor did she want – to forget that she was Scottish. As a kid she did lose her accent, because she wanted to fit in – but after attending university she ended up working as an actor in Scotland on programmes like Taggart. Louise believes that was a unique way to reclaim her culture and keep it alive.
Louise loves her adopted neighbourhood: “The landscape still takes my breath away, the undulating hills, impenetrable bush, sparkling blue sea. The views are truly breathtaking and the stuff of dreams. But it’s not just the landscape that has kept me here but the people too.”
Bay of Islands dish recipe
There are many ways to enjoy the delicious limoncello made by Andreas Loggia & his family – including this decadent cake.
Sovrano Limoncello Cake
- 450g shortcrust pastry
- 4 lemons
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 30g butter
- 1 layer of sponge cake with a diameter of 20cms
- 4 tablespoons apricot jam
- 50ml Limoncello
- some mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and flour a 22-24cm tart mold.
- Roll out the pastry & line mold. Lightly prick bottom with a fork and bake for 25-30mins.
- Meanwhile prepare the cream.
- Wash and dry 2 lemons. Grate the peel and squeeze & strain the juice into a bowl.
- Beat the eggs yolks in a bowl with 100g of sugar. In a small saucepan, stir together the lemon zest with 75g of sugar, add the lemon juice & bring to a boil over a low heat.
- Stir in the egg mixture, return to boil, remover from heat & add butter.
- Let cool.
- Turn out the pastry base, spread bottom with apricot jam. Overlay with the sponge cake and sprinkle with the limoncello.
- Cover with the lemon cream and decorate with lemon slices & mint leaves.