Episode 21 - Manurewa
This week on Neighbourhood, Kiel McNaughton explores the South Auckland suburb of Manurewa, where he was born and raised.
We share a special meal with an exuberant family of Egyptian food importers, and see how a young Vietnamese woman is exploring her culture through the Massive Company – a theatre group which draws on individual experience for inspiration.
We also check out a 17th century French heirloom and see how one local woman has taken her personal struggle and used it as a driving force to help other Asians struggling with metal illness.
Actor/director/presenter Kiel was born and raised in Manurewa, South Auckland.
After briefly trying his hand at architecture, Kiel decided to follow his dream and become a full time actor. He runs his own production company and was heavily involved in 2011's on-line hit comedy Auckland Daze. Kiel is of Chinese, Scottish and Maori descent.
Manurewa Dish Recipe
This week on Neighbourhood we visit the Auckland suburb of Manurewa where we join the Yousef family for a traditional Egyptian meal.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500 gms uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup lentils, soaked in water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 onions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in rice; continue stirring until rice is coated with oil. Add three cups water and one teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed - about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a bubbling boil over high heat. Stir in the macaroni, and return to a boil. Cook the macaroni uncovered, stirring occasionally, until it has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite. Drain well. Return macaroni to cooking pot, cover and keep warm.
- Soak lentils for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse; drain again. Bring two cups water to a boil in a pot and stir in lentils. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until lentils are tender 15 or 20 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onions in the oil, stirring often, until they begin to brown - about 10 to 15 minutes. Onions should be a caramelized dark brown colour. Add garlic and cook another minute. Remove from pan, drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Place half of the onion mixture into a saucepan. Mix in the vinegar. Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste, black pepper, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt and cumin. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 12 minutes.
- Serve by placing a spoonful of rice, then macaroni, and then the lentils on serving plates. Top with tomato sauce and sprinkle with the browned onions.
A delicious and very filling vegetarian treat!