Police say the arrest of two New Zealanders in an international investigation into the distribution of child exploitation material should serve as a warning to parents.
Police were tipped off about the Waikato man and his partner by Italian authorities, who provided New Zealand police with a number of images, including one that appeared to be of a New Zealand child with a male.
"This led to the launching of a multi-agency inquiry that resulted in a Te Awamutu man being recognised by a Cambridge detective and the file being referred to Te Awamutu CIB," Detectve Inspector Chris Page said.
Although many details cannot be released Page says parents need
to be vigiliant.
"This is all about parents and caregivers looking after their kids; knowing who they're with, who their friends are who they're interacting with on social media and being involved in their lives," he said.
"We are now part of a very small world with the way that the internet operates ... with it comes significant risks that people will exploit our children - the most vulnerable people in our community."
The man appeared in the Hamilton District Court yesterday after being arrested last month in Christchurch.
The 37-year-old man faces two charges of indecently assaulting a boy under the age of 12 and 64 charges relating to the possession of objectionable material.
He also faces three firearms charges and one charge of dishonestly using a document.
The 32-year-old woman appeared in the Christchurch District Court last month charged with one count of making an objectionable publication.
The man has been remanded until August 17.