A teenage boy is in critical condition with burns to 70% of his body, following a house fire in Rotorua last night.
Firefighters said the house on Meadowbank Corner in Fordlands was completely gutted when they arrived just after midnight, and on the verge of collapsing.
A man and his six-month old baby escaped the inferno but a 14-year old boy struggled to get out.
He was eventually rescued by firemen as the house collapsed around them.
The boy suffered severe burns to his head, face, arms, chest and back as well as lacerations to his arms and back from jumping out the house window to escape the fire.
He was flown to Waikato Hospital around 1am today and has since been transferred to Middlemore Hospital.
The family dog died in the blaze and neighbours today buried it behind the remains of the house.
While the fire is not being treated as suspicious, Fire Safety says the serious injuries could have been avoided with a simple battery in the smoke alarm.
"I understand there was a smoke alarm in the home but it was not working. We really want to reinforce 'you need a working smoke alarm and escape plan in your home'," Fire Safety officer Stuart Cradock said.
Neighbours say the family who were renting the house have lost everything and need the help of the community.
"If anyone can help them out, because they lost everything in the fire and they've got nothing left, it would be much appreciated," said Jayden Wharepapa.