White powder which sparked an emergency services operation in Wellington central has been confirmed as talcum powder.
Emergency services were called about 9.20am to Gilmer Tce after a Whitcoulls worker opened an envelope and got white powder on his hands.
Wellington Fire Service senior station officer John Mansford said two people were hosed down in decontamination showers after the suspicious white powder was discovered.
Emergency services cordoned off Gilmer Tce and police told
Wellington office workers to stay in their buildings.
Police confirmed about 11am that the white substance was talcum powder.
Mansford said in situations like this emergency services would "assume the worst".
The Fire Service's hazardous materials truck, a breathing
apparatus unit, and three other fire trucks attended.
Whitcoulls is trading as normal on Lambton Quay.