A Christchurch red-zone resident says the government has backtracked on an offer to rebuild her home.
Jan Sparrow, 69, said she was told her Bexley house was to be rebuilt, as recently as last month.
However, the New Zealand Earthquake Commission (EQC) maintains Sparrow's house was only ever going to be repaired.
A rebuild would see Sparrow receive a larger pay out from her insurer, more than what the Crown would offer.
Crown offers were made to 2970 homeowners after the first round of land-zoning decisions, which were announced in June last year.
"It's my life, and it's come to this it's so hard," she said.
"I did hear them say its a rebuild and with that Jan leapt in the air and she rushed through and hugged me," Sparrow's sister-in-law Diana Handiside commented.
But although the EQC is apologetic about the timing, they maintain Sparrow always knew her house was only to be repaired.
"It wasn't flagged to us that this case was urgent," said EQC national claims manager Gail Kettle.
"I don't think it's ok that she only has four days [to decide], but she did have some earlier information from EQC that the house was undercap and not a rebuild," said Kettle.
However, representative for the Wider Earthquakes community action group, Mike Coleman, said he believed the status of Sparrow's property had been changed.
"They've completely turned her on her head and that's why she's on stress medication."
"The Christchurch Earthquake Recovery Authority (CERA) and Mr Brownlee want this lady off her land as soon as possible," said Coleman.
A statement from CERA released to ONE News said Sparrow had all of the necessary information to make an informed decision on her property.
Yet after enquiries, CERA decided to set up a meeting with Sparrow on Monday to talk about her options.
Sparrow said she wanted to move house, but did not want to be left out of pocket.
The Government's buyout offer expires tomorrow.