Police are "very disappointed" with seven deaths and nearly 800 car crashes on the roads over the Queen's Birthday weekend.
The holiday period officially ended at 6am and hopes of another death-free break were dashed by Saturday evening.
The worst of the incidents saw four men killed when a four-wheel drive vehicle crashed near Putorino in Hawke's Bay.
Police have also released the name of a 19-year-old pedestrian who was killed in Lincoln in Canterbury early on Sunday morning.
Alex Knight is believed to have stepped out of a car, in which he was a passenger, and was struck by another vehicle while standing in the middle of the road.
The incident occurred on Birch's Road at around 2am and police are currently considering whether charges will be laid against the driver of the vehicle which struck him.
Over the weekend another pedestrian was killed at Otane in Hawke's Bay and a man also died after the car he was in hit a powerpole near Stratford, Taranaki.
Acting national road policing manager Superintendent Rob Morgan told TV ONE's Breakfast this morning they were analysing what had happened in the incidents.
"Most of these deaths happened in a 24 hour period so we're looking at if this is a long weekend issue or a Saturday night issue, with people out partying," he said.
Alcohol was a factor in three of the four accidents and four of the people who died were not wearing seatbelts.
Morgan said there were still some people ignoring the warnings about drinking and driving.
"What we're looking for is voluntary compliance, and that is the way we're going to influence the small groups who are still not complying," he said.
There was just one death on the roads at Queen's Birthday last year.