The national state of emergency put in place after the Christchurch earthquake is to be extended again.
Civil Defence Minister John Carter has announced another seven day extension which allows the National Controller of Civil Defence John Hamilton to exercise oversight over relief and recovery work.
Carter said he expected the state of emergency to continue for several more weeks.
The state of national emergency in New Zealand was declared on February 23 and first extended on March 1.
Carter said the ongoing impact of the quake and the continuing aftershocks was of such an extent that "a combined effort from across the nation will be required for some time".
"This is a difficult time for the people in Canterbury and everyone involved in recovery work is pulling out all stops to ensure their safety and security," he said.
Carter said the extension had been made following consultation with the Prime Minister John Key, Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee and the Mayor of Christchurch Bob Parker.
Under the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act, the declaration means the National Controller will continue to control the exercise and performance of functions, duties, and powers of the Civil Defence Emergency Management Groups and Group controller.