Following today's Mount Tongariro eruption, Geo Net advises that people living in or near the affected areas should:
- If experiencing ash fall, stay indoors. Volcanic ash could be a health hazard, especially if you suffer from breathing difficulty. If outside, seek shelter (e.g. in a car or building)
- When indoors, close all windows and doors to limit the entry of volcanic ash.
- If caught in volcanic ash falls: Wear a dust mask or use a handkerchief or cloth over your nose and mouth; protect your eyes by wearing goggles. Wear eyeglasses, NOT contact lenses as fine ash will get under the lens.
- Listen to the radio for updated emergency information and instructions.
- Do not tie up phone lines with non-emergency calls.
- Stay out of designated restricted zones. Effects of a volcanic eruption can be experienced many miles from a volcano.