The remains of a New Zealand First World War soldier have been discovered in Belgium.
The New Zealand Defence Force said today that the remains were found in April, and forensic analysis has now officially identified the remains as belonging to a New Zealand soldier.
The remains were found alongside two NZ infantry shoulder badges, in Messines, where New Zealand troops had been involved in intense fighting during World War One.
The remains will be reburied in a Commonwealth War Grave later this year or early next year.
NZ Defence Force Military Advisor in London, Lieutenant Colonel (LTCOL) Nick Gillard said the soldier can now "lie with his comrades who also lost their lives during the Battle of Messines".
"The soldier 'Known only to God' will be reburied with ceremonial honours reflecting his sacrifice and service to New Zealand," Gillard said.
In February, the remains of another New Zealand soldier killed in WWI were laid to rest at a special ceremony in Belgium.
The remains were believed to have belonged to a 25-year-old man and were found alongside a New Zealand Rifle Brigade hat badge, associated personal material and the remains of a uniform. They were found last July near Messines, close to the French border.
The Battle of Messine is regarded as the first significant achievement for New Zealand soldiers in World War One.
They fought off German forces in the town to take control of a ridge that was regarded as strategically important in setting up the later assault on Passchendale.
The battle began in the early morning of June 7, 1917, and within a few hours the Kiwi soldiers had managed to secure the town.
There were relatively few casualties in the fighting itself but the retaliation from the Germans over the following days proved more deadly.
New Zealand troops were relieved of their duties protecting the town on June 9.
Around 700 New Zealand soldiers were killed in action during this battle.
It is believed more than half of those killed during the Battle of Messines have no known resting place.