Top Shows

Contact ONE News

Killer Dean Wickliffe to be released from prison

Published: 1:28PM Friday April 29, 2011 Source: Fairfax

  • Dean Wickliffe photographed in the 1990s (Source: Fairfax)
    Dean Wickliffe photographed in the 1990s - Source: Fairfax

Convicted killer Dean Wickliffe will breach his parole conditions if he takes a sip of alcohol from the day of his release until the day he dies.

The Parole Board announced today that Wickliffe will be freed from prison next month.

The 62-year-old has escaped twice from the maximum security prison at Paremoremo and has spent more than 30 years of his life behind bars.

In its report, which followed an April 26 hearing, the Parole Board said Wickliffe had "had a significant career of crime".

The date of his release next month has not been made public. He will return to his own home and will live with "stable people with no history of offending".

A job awaits Wickliffe on his release, the board said in its report.

Among the eight conditions Wickliffe must observe is a curfew, though the time has not been revealed.

However, the condition that he must not possess or drink alcohol or illicit drugs or a firearm will continue until the end of his life.

Wickliffe will have to return to face the board in November.

He was first jailed for the murder of Wellington jeweller Paul Miet during an armed robbery in 1972. The charge was reduced to manslaughter 12 years later at a re-trial.

He was paroled in 1987, but reoffended and was recalled to prison.

Released in 1995, Wickliffe was later found guilty of murdering Bay of Plenty man Richard Bluett, but that conviction was quashed in 1998 and he was acquitted on retrial.

His latest imprisonment was for drugs and weapons charges dating from last year.

Wickliffe was found with 250ml of the drug known as Fantasy G during a raid of his home in 2008.

At a separate court appearance in 2010, Wickliffe pleaded guilty to the unlawful possession of a loaded Colt revolver which was also found at his house during the raid.

In 1976, Wickliffe was the first prisoner to escape from the maximum security prison at Paremoremo.

The escape lasted just minutes. The alarm was raised as the prison guard rugby team was leaving the prison.

Wickliffe tried to swim across an estuary to escape but the tide was out and he got stuck in the mudflats.

Wickliffe escaped again in 1991 and was at large for a month.