The police raid of Kim Dotcom's Auckland home was "a disgrace", the High Court in Auckland was told today.
The megaupload founder's legal team told a judicial review hearing into the raid that the way in which the Armed Offenders Squad and Special Tactics Group moved in to execute search warrants was heavy handed.
"What all this reveals is what has been a disgraceful performance on behalf of the New Zealand police in relation to this matter that has justifiably brought the police into disrespect and disrepute," Dotcom's lawyer, Paul Davison, said.
However, police witnesses said the mission was a success and they were justified in using their elite response teams.
"The risk factors were that there were firearms, and other indications that we would be delayed. There was definite risk to loss of evidence," said Detective Inspector Grant Wormald.
The internet millionaire has been in court most of the week for the hearing, which aims to decide what should happen to evidence seized in the raid, after it was ruled illegal.
"In the court legal matters, outside the court legal matters, so I'm spending a lot of time with my lawyers. The whole case is consuming me," Dotcom told ONE News today.
Yesterday, police came under fire over how they treated Dotcom's heavily pregnant wife when they raided the family's Coatesville mansion in January.
The court heard how Mona Dotcom began suffering mild contractions during the raid but was unable to call for help as she had her cellphone taken by police.
Police confirmed they knew Mona was pregnant with twins and had discussed her welfare prior to the raid.
An ambulance was called and arrived 45 minutes later but Davison told police their response was pathetic.
"I don't think it was a poor response at all Mr Davison, we're police officers not medical staff," Detective Sergeant Stephen Humphries said.
"If it was a medical emergency then clearly an ambulance was the appropriate response, not a police car.
"We're not trained or equipped to deal with medical emergencies," Humphries said.
The court was also told yesterday that the January 20 date of the raid was chosen because it coincided with Dotcom's birthday, and previously he had hosted many of the individuals of interest to the FBI at his house.
All Dotcom's digital storage devices were confiscated by 27 police staff during the raid.
The next phase in the case will see submissions made from both
sides, and further legal argument will be heard.