Firefighters have been battling a blaze in an abandoned building in central Christchurch.
The Electrolux factory on Welles Street was well engulfed with flames when emergency services arrived at the scene shortly after 6.30pm.
Six fire trucks, 30 firefighters and an aerial unit attended the scene.
The building was viewed as too dangerous to send fire fighters inside initially.
"I'm not committing any of my people to go in there and have a look, Acting Area Commander Greg Crawford told ONE News.
We've already had a fairly major collapse in here about half an hour ago. Unfortunately if there is anybody in there, they're still going to be in there."
"I need heavy machinery to get rid of this building. It's the only way we're going to get this fire out," he said.
This is the second fire in the Welles St building in less than two weeks and there are now calls for it to be knocked down.
The fire service is angry it wasn't demolished after that first fire and are wanting the council to take action immediately.
Crawford told ONE News there was also a chance of asbestos being in the smoke.
However police won't speculate as to whether the fires are linked.
There have been no reports of injuries.