Simon and Meg vs the Pavlova - Take 2!
"I don't know if I can get these buggers off [the baking
paper]" - Simon
"There's nowhere to hide in this kitchen. The pavlovas haven't worked, the pastry cream hasn't set... deep down we knew it was a disaster." - Meg
Oh boy. What a shocker! Simon and Meg had a complete FAIL on the pavlova front due to a malfunctioning oven.
We thought they deserved a chance to redeem themselves so we challenged them to a rematch.
Behold, Simon and Meg vs The Pavlova (take 2). You can find their (new) recipe below the video:
Meg and Simon's Pavlova #2
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Servings: 1 pavlova
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Beat egg whites until stiff (forms peaks).
2. Add sugar - heaped tablespoon at a time - beating well after each addition.
3. Then beat for at least 10 minutes. This is very important.
4. Then sprinkle vinegar, cornflour and vanilla essence into mixture. Beat until blended.
5. Coat baking paper with water drops to allow baking paper to stick to sides of tin and pile pavlova mixture in 20cm circle.
6. Heat oven until 300°F (or 150°C). Put pav in oven and immediately turn oven down to 250°F (or 125°C) and leave for 1 hour.
7. Then turn oven off and leave in oven until cold. (Usually overnight). This makes a nice crust on outside of pav.
8. Before serving, cover pav in whipped cream and decorate with your favourite fruit.