Semi Final 1 - Will and Steve: Smoked Trout with Celery, Apple and Fennel
Prep: 1 hour (+refrigeration)
Cook: 40 mins
- 4 tbs micro herbs
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 litre water
- 1/3 cup salt
- 2 trout (about 300g each), scaled, gutted
- 1 cup smoking chips (soaked in apple juice for 1 hour)
- 1-2 large potatoes, cut into 2cm thick slices
- 200g duck fat
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 garlic clove, bruised
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs white wine vinegar
- 200ml light olive oil
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
Apple & Celery Salad
- 80ml mayonnaise (as above)
- ½ stick celery, thinly sliced
- ½ baby fennel, cut into julienne
- 1 green apple, cut into julienne
- 1 tbs finely chopped dill
- To prepare trout, stir water and the salt in a glass or ceramic baking dish (just big enough to fit both fish) until salt dissolves, to create a brine. Add trout, ensuring they are submerged. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day. Remove and pat dry.
- To confit potatoes, using an 8cm round cutter, cut four rounds from the potatoes.
- Melt duck fat in a small frying pan. Add potato slices, thyme and garlic. Simmer on lowest heat for about 30 minutes or until potato slices are tender, turning potatoes half way through.
- Remove potato slices and place in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook until lightly browned and crisp on each side.
- To make mayonnaise, process egg yolks, juice and vinegar until smooth. With motor operating, drizzle in oil until thick and smooth. Stir in mustard and garlic. Season. Refrigerate.
- To smoke trout, preheat a barbecue on medium.
- Spread the drained wood chips on a piece of heavy-duty foil and place on a lit burner.
- Place fish on a greased rack over an oven tray. Once chips start smoking, place tray in barbecue and cook, with hood down, for about 10 minutes. The fish is cooked when the flesh just flakes away with a fork, but the centre is still soft and rosy. Remove from barbecue.
- When cool enough to handle, peel away skin and gently remove flesh with a fork.
- To make salad, lightly toss all ingredients in a bowl to combine. Season.
- Toss micro herbs, oil and juice together in a small bowl. Season.
- Place confit potatoes on serving plates. Top with salad and trout. Garnish with micro herbs.
- To smoke fish on a charcoal barbecue, sprinkle the drained wood chips over the coals.
- We used a smoker on the show, but have provided a more accessible method here, using a barbecue.
- Exact cooking time of fish will depend on its size and thickness. Check throughout cooking.
Once used, the duck fat can be cooled, refrigerated and re-used again