Nic and Rocco: Pasta with pork and fennel meatballs
Pasta with pork and fennel meatballs
- Preparation time: 25 mins
IngredientsShaved parmesan, to serve
Basil leaves, to serve
300g plain flour, plus extra, to dust
1 tsp oil
2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 bird's-eye chilli, thinly sliced
690g jar passata
1 x 400g can crushed tomatoes
6 basil leaves, torn
Salt and pepper, to season
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp dried chillies
500g pork mince
40g dried breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 tbs coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbs olive oil
1. To make pasta, place all ingredients in a food processor and process until a dough forms. Knead dough on a lightly floured work surface until smooth, then wrap in plastic wrap and rest for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, to make sauce, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and chilli and fry for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add passata and tomatoes, then simmer for 10-15 minutes to reduce. Stir through basil and season with salt and pepper.
3. To make meatballs, place fennel and chilli in a mortar and pestle and grind. Transfer to a bowl with mince, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley and salt. Mix thoroughly, then roll heaped tablespoons into balls.
4. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning, until browned. Transfer to sauce and simmer for 10 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.5. Pass pasta dough through a floured pasta machine on the widest setting, then fold and repeat again. Repeat this process 3-4 times, then turn down one setting on pasta machine and repeat rolling until you have thin sheets of pasta.
6. Using a pastry cutter or knife, cut pasta widthways into 2cm-strips. Toss lightly in flour. Add pasta to a large saucepan of salted boiling and cook for 2-3 minutes or until al dente.7. Add pasta to a large bowl and spoon over a little sauce. Toss to combine, then divide pasta among serving bowls. Ladle meatballs and sauce on top, then sprinkle with parmesan and basil leaves to serve.