Ep7- Miang of Crab, Coconut, Mint and Citrus
Team:Alex & Gareth
Prep:1 hour 30 mins
4 green sand crabs, cleaned
1 tbs peanut oil
1 long red chilli, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
400ml can coconut milk
coriander leaves, to garnish
100ml of the reserved coconut milk from cooking crabs
juice of 1 lime
2 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp grated palm sugar
1 stick lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
3 oranges, segmented
1 cups beansprouts
½bunch coriander, leaves picked
½bunch mint, leaves picked
½cup freshly grated coconut
- To prepare crabs, prise off top shell. Remove and discard the spongy, finger-like white gills on either side of the crab's body. Chop the crab into quarters. Gently crack claws to allow the flavours to penetrate. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Cook chilli, garlic and ginger, stirring for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in coconut milk. Add crab pieces and toss well to coat in sauce.
- Simmer, covered, until just cooked.
- Remove crab pieces and set aside to cool. Strain sauce and set aside to use in dressing.
- Pick crab meat out of shell and set aside.
- To make dressing, whisk cooled strained reserved coconut milk with juice, sauce and sugar until sugar dissolves. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Place crab meat in a bowl with salad ingredients. Add enough of the dressing to coat and toss to combine.
- Serve crab salad garnished with coriander.
- If you are time poor, use fresh or frozen crab meat in place of fresh crabs.
- Adjust the flavours of the dressing to suit your taste.
- Try using pomelo or grapefruit as an alternative to orange, for a change.